IMPACT Community Action Partnership will be administering rent and utility assistance through the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) to residents of Polk County, including the City of Des Moines. This program may provide eligible Polk County residents with assistance for a period of up to twelve months.   

Can the electric company turn off my heat? Iowa prevents utilities from shutting off power to eligible low-income residents from Nov. 1 to April 1.
How can I get help with my overdue utility bills? The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, often called Li-HEAP, is funded by the federal government and provides a one-time payment to families struggling to pay their energy bills.

A new program, called the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program, is expected to kick off in March, providing $195 million in federal assistance to Iowans struggling to pay their rent and utilities due to lost jobs or income tied to the coronavirus public health crisis. Landlords also can apply for aid.

How do I get help through LiHEAP? Iowans should contact their nearest community action agency to qualify. The program helps families making 175% or less of the federal poverty guidelines. A family of three in Iowa, for example, could earn $38,010 in annual gross income. Applications are open through April 30.

How do I get help through the federal rental and utilities program? The Iowa Finance Authority will begin the application process this week, with information available at iowahousingrecovery. com or by calling (855) 300-5885 or (515) 348-8813.

People who live in Des Moines or Polk County should contact IMPACT Community Action Partnership to apply for assistance. Polk County will have $14 million available to help central Iowa residents. Visit or call (515) 777-7644. Both the state and Polk County are working to ramp up the programs. The state finance authority plans to have additional customer service representatives available to help Iowans qualify for the program.