Lynette Webster and Jeff Wagner have both been instrumental to the success of the Central Iowa Blues Society from its inception through its first 20 years. Lynette has represented CIBS as its President for nine years (1998-2001, 2004-2007, 2010-2013) in addition to eleven years in various other positions on the CIBS Board. After having spent three years as CIBS Treasurer and three years as President, Jeff became the managing owner of Blues on Grand. In that capacity, “Dr. Doubt” became ineligible to hold elected office in CIBS, however he continued to serve as Chair of the Finance & Fundraising committee until 2013. Jeff is also a former member of the Blues Foundation Board of Directors. In recognition of their years of service, and in culmination of a goal of the society since its inception, the Central Iowa Blues Society is proud to announce the establishment of the Webster-Wagner Scholarship, a $500 annual grant to assist in the education of a young person showing an interest in or aptitude for America’s original musical art form, the blues.
- Applicant must be nominated by any current member of the Central Iowa Blues Society.
- Applicant shall be a resident of the state of Iowa or must be accepted to or enrolled at an educational institution located in the State of Iowa.
- Grant must be used at an educational institution that normally maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly organized body of students in attendance at the place where the educational activities are carried out.
- Members of the CIBS Board of Directors or the selection committee or their immediate families shall be ineligible to apply.
- Application period begins on or about February 1st.
- Application deadline: Materials must be postmarked by or delivered to a CIBS Board member or selection committee member before 11:59 pm, April 1st. Mailing address: CIBS, P.O. Box 13016, Des Moines IA 50310
- Grant award announcement on or about May 1st.
- A presentation ceremony shall take place at a CIBS event to be determined (Iowa Blues Challenge Finals – May 17, CIBS Membership – June or July, Iowa Solo/Duo Blues Challenge – early August)
- Grant will be paid directly to the educational institution for the benefit of and at the direction of the award recipient.
- Applicants Name, Address, Phone, and e-mail address.
- Brief nomination letter from a current CIBS member.
- Proof of acceptance or enrollment at a qualifying educational institution.
- Short synopsis of academic activity, organizational affiliations, awards and honors, etc.
- Most recent grade transcript.
- Short essay (250-500 words) describing the influence and impact of blues music on the applicants life experiences.
- Any other documentation, endorsements or multi-media materials that the applicant may feel appropriate and beneficial to the selection process.
- Applications shall be reviewed by a selection committee comprised of CIBS members.
- No nominating members shall be eligible to serve on the selection committee.
- Of the criteria that the selection committee shall consider, primary weight shall be placed upon majors in music education or music performance and/or involvement in musical activities or organizations.
- The decision of the selection committee is final.
Other Terms and Conditions:
- Grant recipient is expected to maintain full-time status throughout the academic year for which the grant is awarded.
- Grant recipient shall be willing to provide evidence of proper utilization of grant and academic progress, if requested.
- Grant is not automatically renewable. Grant recipients are welcome to subsequently reapply.
The Webster-Wagner Scholarship is funded by the Carol Thomas Memorial Endowment Fund, which is also the funding mechanism for the CIBS Blues in the Schools program. For more information about CIBS’ various educational efforts, how to contribute to the Carol Thomas Memorial Endowment Fund or how to become a CIBS member, visit the CIBS website at www.cibs.org
The Central Iowa Blues Society is a 501(c)3 corporation
Questions regarding the Webster-Wagner Scholarship should be directed to CIBS Vice President Steve Vasquez (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Treasurer Jeff Duskin (email@example.com)
No applications were received for the 2014-2015 Webster-Wagner Scholarship. The application period for the 2015-2016 academic year will be expanded from 2 months to 4 months and the deadline will be moved up by 1 month. (November 1, 2014-March 1, 2015) In addition, the announcement of the 2015-2016 scholarship will be publicized a month before the beginning of the application period. (on or about October 1, 2014)